Monday, August 14, 2006

Finale

We have a winner!

In an amazing upset Zeina has come out on top after Mike has thrown in the towel. Here's a statement from Mike:
After a long hard fight, it is with a heavy heart that I am hereby submitting my concession from the contest. Though I had an obvious lead in the growth of my plants, in the end it seems Mother Nature was against me. Just when my first tomato was ready to ripen, my plant was devastated by a giant tomato hornworm. After smothering the plant in pesticide, the worm was dead, but not before it had gorged itself on my tomatoes. Nevertheless, I pressed on, ever vigilant. I was sure that my lead was extensive enough that this was only a minor setback; however, next came the rabbit. Once again it seemed I would not be able to eat my own tomatoes. I was too ashamed to send pictures. I wanted my plants to regain their composure. I spent many nights awake crying, I was in an awful place.
In the end, my plant was picked to shreds by the birds. While I raised my plants with care, it seems nature itself was against me. And so Zeina, I applaud you. You have accomplished what I could not. To the victor go the spoils, and so now I must prepare for you a dinner of your choice. The contest was hard fought but in the end it seems the best woman won.
At least that's similar to what Mike should have said, but this is the same man who can't find the time to take pictures of a motionless object sitting on his porch. So what he
actually said, in an instant message to me, was:
BTW. I'm conceding the tomato bet. Birds picked my shit apart.
The link was added by me, as was the punctuation and capitalization. No one can accuse Mike of being wordy. Mike's loquacity aside; let us now move on to the pictures of the winning plant:


Zeina's pics


Here we see the winning plant, as it is the only one left. The plant has been through an ordeal of its own, but has risen above it and as you can see there is some ripening going on with those tomatoes. Last time I counted there were around 20 tomatoes growing.


Here's a closer shot of the ripest tomatoes.


A few days ago there was a strong thunderstorm that managed to knock over Zeina's plant. The impact of the fall caused some of her tomatoes to fall off, so she wanted to show them as well.

So that does it for The Tomato Blog. Overall it was a fun experience in the beginning until Mike ruined everything. However it was fun to belittle Mike's inadequacy in the promptness department, so I guess it wasn't all a waste. Now I need to find something else to blog about I suppose. It will also be interesting to see if Mike will hold his end of the deal and cook a meal for Zeina, not to mention if it will be edible.

18 Comments:

At 8/14/2006 10:43 AM, Blogger Zeina said...

I remember a while ago somebody saying:

"Well, based on these pics, and the previous photos, vs. the stats in the VOTING, I'd have to say 1 of 2 things is happening either a) someone is stuffing the voting results, or b) people are voting emotionally, (ie gender bias) and in denial.

I particularly like the dead one, which through simple logic alone would indicate that Ziena now has reduced her chance of winning by 50%... (Never was good with statistics.)"

hmmm...

 
At 8/16/2006 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, winning this way is a bit like winning a game of pool against Minnessota Fats because he knocked the 8 ball down accidentally while sinking 3 others in a single shot... The best tasting tomato didn't win... the ONLY tomato won. It could taste like CRAP for all we know, so this is a rather bitter victory, that I wouldn't go touting around too much about.

The real question is, what are you going to do with this rather short-sited blog now Frank???

 
At 8/16/2006 9:44 AM, Blogger Zeina said...

how is that different than Mike winning because my tomato plant died?

Oh, and I already tasted one of tomatoes...

 
At 8/16/2006 5:01 PM, Blogger deadish said...

Well I can always delete this blog and start something new, I just don't know what to blog about. I'm not into the blogs with entries like "mood: mellow. Today I went to work just like every other day and it was boring." Any non-offensive suggestions would be appreciated.

 
At 8/20/2006 10:43 PM, Blogger Zeina said...

you can still post pictures of my new ripe, delicious tomatoes.

 
At 8/22/2006 2:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never proclaimed Mike the winner because you plant died...

Frank, I think you should delete this Blog, and blog about what criteria should be used to classify celestial objects, and whether Pulto stays and Ceras gets added...

 
At 8/29/2006 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I have an idea... why don't you blog about why people feel the need to blog...

 
At 9/04/2006 3:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, and I thouht this blog was boring when there was somthing going on...

It's offical: Watching the grass grow is more interesting than this blog.

 
At 10/16/2006 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what do these babies look like now??? Did Z ever get her dinner from M? Was it worth eating? Did they use the tomatos in any way shape or form?

 
At 7/06/2007 9:44 PM, Blogger Lindy said...

I think this is an EXCELLENT blog. I just found it and I read every single post. Seriously. You are one cool tomato blogger.

I have a tomato blog too. It's at: http://tomatoeblog.blogspot.com/
I don't think it is nearly as exciting as yours though because I am not in a competition... just hoping to actually grow a tomato.

Wish me luck.

A fellow tomato farmer,

Lindy

 
At 3/04/2009 1:25 PM, Blogger Jane Ellis said...

www.thetomatostake.com

 
At 5/20/2009 8:37 AM, Anonymous HappyTomatoSecrets said...

Awesome blog!! We share a love for Tomatoes.

Keep the good stuff coming and more pictures! We love to see the results of all that hard work.

 
At 8/23/2009 8:27 PM, Anonymous tomato growing tips said...

Sorry Mike,

Boy it sounds quite the challenge to get a crop in your neck of the woods.

 
At 10/20/2009 9:52 PM, Anonymous tomato lover said...

Even as a local farmer who raises a few plants in a hot bed, there is something really rewarding about watching the progress of tomatoes. is it bad if I get all excited??

 
At 11/22/2009 11:15 AM, Blogger Gavin Rogers said...

tomato growing is the fruit to grow guys.

 
At 11/10/2010 5:35 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Great blog here.

Growing Tomatoes In Containers

 
At 5/14/2011 10:44 AM, Anonymous Dan said...

Can you tell me if the Topsy Turvy Tomato - Upside Down Hanging Tomatoes Kit really works?

I found it at http://yousawitontv.yolasite.com/topsy.php They claim the Turvy Tomato Planter works in a simple yet ingenious way. As the sun warms the plant like a greenhouse, the root system explodes and thrives inside the planter. Because the Topsy Turvy is upside down, water and nutrients pour directly from the root to the fruit, giving you up to 30 pounds of deliciously ripe tomatoes per plant! Use your Topsy Turvy™ to grow deliciously ripe tomatoes for homemade sauces, sandwiches, salads and more without harmful pesticides or backbreaking work. Do you think I should buy it? Thank you!

 
At 10/07/2011 10:32 PM, Anonymous kamagra jelly online said...

mindblowing content. You guys have really made it easy for users like us. I hope that you will continue with the good work of yours in future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home